Summer is almost here! This time of the year is perfect to spend lots of time outdoors to relax, exercise, and spend time with your kids and family. However, it can get tricky too. We’ve put together some important tips to keep in mind during the hottest season of the year so you and your family can enjoy it at its fullest.
- Sunscreen is important. This is not new information. However, make sure you choose sunscreen that does not have cancer causing ingredients in it. Recent studies warn against the ingredients PABA, benzophenone-3, homosalate, octyl-methoxycinnamate (OMC) and 4-methyl-benzylidene camphor (4- MBC) due to the possible link to skin cancer.
- Drink plenty of water. In summer time, you will need more water than usual. Stay away from alcohol or drinks with lots of sugar.
- Increase your intake of fresh vegetables and fruits. Summer is a time of plenty when it comes to fruits and vegetables availability. There are so many options available during this time of year that you can get creative and have fun!
- Exercise in the morning or the evening during the cooler hours of the day. Try to stay in the shade or indoors during the afternoon, when the sun is at the highest point in the sky and the heat is most intense.
- Wear lightweight, loose-fitting clothing whenever you can, but especially when exercising, to keep your skin cool.
Enjoy your summer and stay safe!